Thursday, April 05, 2012

Japanese Apartment: Part 1

The first in a series showcasing my new place, a standard 6 tatami mat Japanese apartment. I live by the Takao station in Hachioji, part of the greater Tokyo area. If you click on this map, my building is dead center, with Japanese characters written on it. I'm on the second floor of this 4 unit building. You can see the 2 intersecting paths directly south of me that lead to the train station. Being this close is a big plus for any daily commuting to jobs.

I am fortunate to have 2 windows in the main room, allowing for maximum sunlight. I shot these at night though, so my drapes are closed. I've set up a work area in this corner. The desk, chair, computer speakers, drapes, file divider, desk lamp, and almost everything else in my apartment came from a Sayonara Sale of a departing Argentine Anime student. For 20,000 Yen, he let me take whatever I wanted. The drapes on the right hide a sliding door that leads to my balcony. 


Panning clockwise to the backdoor drapes, a/c & heating unit, and then my closet.


The other side of my closet and my plastic dresser.


Bookcase in the top right of my closet.


Wire rack in the bottom right of the closet. I brought 2 pairs of running & trail shoes with me.


The remote to my air conditioning unit. You can see why it took me a day to figure out how to get the heat on.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Looks good Shaner

Sarah said...

Very nice! You're so organized! Love the drapes.

Kelsey K. Hartley said...

How does the translator help you use the thermostat? The closet is nice and deep! What does "6 tatami" mean in Engrish?

Supercords said...

I typed the words hot, heat, warm, etc into the translator to see what symbols they are in Japanese. Then I matched the symbols on the remote.

Tatami mats are what many Japanese people have for flooring in their homes. It's a standard size, so it's also used a measurement. My main room would fit 6 tatami mats inside.