Thursday, August 02, 2012

Summer Party

I attended a summer party at the Yu's last weekend. There was a lot of Chinese dishes to sample. I even made a version of my salsa--no jalapenos in Japan that I can find.

Gyoza making


The finished product


They told me that fermented eggs are sliced up with dental floss to avoid it sticking to a knife.


A fermented egg, tofu, and green onion salad. I was seriously skeeved out by the eggs, but they weren't bad.


Pig ear and cucumber salad. I've had pig's ear a number of ways, and none of them have been good. 


Grilles cow tongue and other meats


This was my first encounter with bitter melon. I find it hard to believe that ANYONE can enjoy the taste of that vegetable. Vile stuff. The slices of clam were good though.


Broiled fish


Watching a firework show that went on for over an hour!



Packed Nishi-Hachioji train station after.

2 comments:

Deb E said...

Wow! You're sounding like Andrew Zimmerman from "Bizarre Foods!"

Deanna said...

um....interesting...
xo