Sunday, July 18, 2010

2010 Westlake HS XC 5K

I took a lot of time off from running since my 50 miler. The knees needed a chance to recuperate. Now I'm starting the process of getting back into shape, which meant one thing: 5K's! I signed up last minute for the Westlake High School Cross Country 5K in Saratoga Springs. I dragged my 8 month pregnant friend Kristin along with me.

I knew going in that they weren't giving away age group awards, so I didn't feel compelled to go all out. Instead, I ran the first mile with Kristin at a 9:17 pace. I've only run 3 times since June 5th, so I wasn't sure how my legs would react to high speeds. I felt good after that first mile, so I decided to kick it into high gear for the last two.

Mile 2 was 6:35 and mile 3 was 6:27. It was fun passing people right up to the end, however my time was nowhere near where it usually is. I finished in 23:12, whereas I'm usually right around 20:30. It was good enough for 7th place. It did give me back some confidence that I can start training harder than I have been.

I won a 50 minute massage from some lady in the raffle afterward. I traded it for a metal water bottle instead. I didn't feel comfortable going to someone's house for a massage.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Just for the record, I would like to state that the first mile was uphill and that I ended with a 8:40 pace :) Now I feel less pathetic! Good job Shane! Thanks for giving me a call. I enjoyed it!