Monday, May 10, 2010

Cinco de Mayo 5K

I participated in the inaugural ScenicView Cinco de Mayo 5K race last week. For a first time race, it was really well put together. They capped the field at 240 runners and had to turn people away. That's good marketing. I normally don't get to run 5K's, but this one started at 6:00 pm in the evening, on a week night.

The Three Amigos. That's not a fake background. It's Utah.


Most of the racers opted to wear the technical t-shirt they gave us. I stand out in black on the left side of the photo below.


You may notice a few runners wearing Mexican wrestling masks.


The course was a little short of 5K, so my time was better than usual: 19:39. Good enough for 8th place if you don't count the bandit runner who came in 5th. We covered trails and surface streets in the Riverwoods area of Provo.

Coming into the finish line


It shouldn't come as a surprise that none of the top 10 finishers were wearing the race t-shirt. You might as well be wearing a sign that reads "I got forced into this race and haven't been training".


Along with the chips & salsa, fruit, and tres leches, they also had margaritas. Virgin of course.



I placed first in the 30-39 age group, scoring a pair of VIP passes to the Hale Theater in addition to the 2 tickets to see To Kill A Mockingbird that everyone got in their goodie bag. Rubio's was a sponsor, and I got coupons for 4 free tacos as well.

Like I said, great race from start to finish. I'd also like to give a shout out to Ashley Crist for taking some cool shots during the race. These photos all came from her site.

5 comments:

Deanna said...

race snob
"nobody wears the race tshirt when they run..."
Love you, Shane.

Amy said...

I thought those wrestling masks were just made up for Nacho Libre. I can't believe they wear those for real wrestling matches.
Those are some great running photos. Those drinks look good too.
I posted to my blog too.

Angie said...

your posts always make me feel either tired or completely lazy...
but I super impressed.

Jake and Jenny said...

Woo hoo! I love the virgin margaritas, and that is truly a only in Utah!

Kelsey K. Hartley said...

I'm kinda yellous. (Mexican friend's way of saying "Jealous") Brilliant ideas and I love the Three Amigos costumes!