Thursday, December 09, 2004

Battle of the Bands: Thursday Night

This is starting to feel like a job. Go to Muse, listen to bands, give score, come home. I have to admit it's nice to be back in the local music scene and run into old faces. Joel Pack came in tonight. I haven't seen him in years. He and his wife used to come into my store all the time. Joel played for Illborn, one of my favorite local bands. he also recorded some cool solo stuff.

The first band up was The Powerless. They hold the distinction of being the band with the fewest members: 3. Straight up rock band with no frills. ZZZZZzzzzzzzz.

Scorecard:

M: 5
S: 5
C: 5
S: 6
V: 4
Total: 25

There were 7 of us judging tonight. I had a Vanilla Cream Weinhard's this time around. The Black Cherry didn't taste good the other night.

Chance Lewis Project was next. They had a Goldfinger sound but not as polished, which isn't saying much.

Scorecard:

M: 2
S: 3
C: 5
S: 6
V: 2
Total: 18

The third band of the evening was Palomino. Reminded me of The Wallflowers, only the singer's voice sounded like the guy from Maroon 5. Pretty good, but not my thing.

Scorecard:

M: 6
S: 6
C: 6
S: 6
V: 6
Total: 30

The most original band of the night was Winston McCoy. There were hints of The Reverend Horton Heat and Jon Spencer Blues Explosion at the start, but then they moved away from that and I liked them less for it. Bonus points for wearing cool vintage suits.

Scorecard:

M: 6
S: 7
C: 6
S: 7
V: 5
Total: 31

Since I didn't care for any of the bands tonight, I wasn't too concerned with the final outcome. The audience vote was very close too. Winston McCoy got 1 more vote than Palomino, but that wasn't enough to counter the judges votes, so Palomino won the night.

Tomorrow night's the last round of bands before the finals. Hoping to have 1 more really good band to look forward to on Saturday.

No comments: